Monday, September 17, 2012

O Remember, Remember

It's not often that I post my thoughts, but as I trekked here to Hawaii for Strider's 6 week psychiatry medical rotation I heard some profound wisdom on my first day here that I thought I would share.

First, some background information. The boys and I have been in about 8 different states in the last 4 months. It's been a bit crazy to say the least. Explaining to a 3 year old that our Maryland house (stuff) has been moved to Texas and that cousins and friends are in different states can be tricky geography to understand, as well as promising we'll be going back to Texas after this new adventure in Hawaii! I haven't even mentioned to him that his dad will actually be going back to DC for a week and then spending his next 6 week rotation at Fort Hood (2 hours from San Antonio) after we get back.  Gotta love your military med student.  And there's no sarcasm there- I do. But, it's all in the complicated details, right?

Right. Amidst my last paragraph, which most people are probably still trying to figure out... my point is that we all have our individual issues or details. We all have our mountains to climb.  Life is full of adventures and what we should remember is this sweet message I heard echoed by several Hawaiian speakers in church today...

Look and see how the Lord's hand affects your life.  

I know that the Lord blesses me, but I don't always take the time to remember or appreciate it enough. If I take the time I can see it every day: He calmed my boys on an 8 hr flight from Dallas to Honolulu. He let them arise at 4am so our family could see the sunrise together on the eastern Hawaiian shore. My 20 month old sat still in church.  The boys took naps this morning and are adjusting to a 6 hr time difference.

I have a Father in Heaven that knows me by name. He knows my struggles, tries to help, sees me stumble and still loves me. He knows what I need and He gives me the challenges and blessings that build me.  

While I sometimes focus on the negative or sometimes mundane tasks of motherhood- He sees to the inner refining of my soul. Do I take the time to give Him thanks? Am I doing my part?

I needed this message today. Have you seen the Lord's hand reaching out to touch you, your children or your family today? Find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness.

3 comments:

Spencer and Julia

Thank you for your sweet post, Jana. It is a thought that I too need to remember. Your family is so strong and a wonderful example the many people whose lives you touch. The more states you are in, the more people who get to witness how amazing you are! I wish you the best in all of your endeavors.

Unknown

Jana - thanks for being such an awesome Sis! We miss you guys - enjoy Hawaii!

Accalia

Beautiful thoughts, Jana. Thanks for the reminder to remember!